hspace=1 vspace=15 align=right>
GCOWE 97 Youth Consultation
Boiling the pot for end results
Lizelle van der Merwe
"Where two or three Christians are gathered in God's name, there will soon
be a mess". How to prevent these prophetic words of George Verwer from
happening, was exactly what the delegates of the Youth Consultation at
Pretoria Oosterlig had to discover yesterday.
They were given more than enough 'tools' with which to reach a workable
solution: the results of 78 discussed topics were analyzed, prioritized
and summarized in writing, as well as all their impressions, awarenesses
and emotions experienced during the outreaches on Wednesday, the "Exposure
After hours of discussions, debating, questioning and answering the
important ingredients for such structures began to emerge. Here are some
- Get networking! Let missionaries, organizations and churches join
forces. Let them share their resources of research, training, prayer and
- Make the young eager to spread God's word. Motivate them in new,
exciting and creative ways.
- Understand the youth. Know, experience and understand as much as
possible of the student world. Teach them to be and express themselves.
- Focus on local leadership. Identify them and train them to be humble
servers. Let them lead by example.
- Training, training, training. Train them to pray, train them to know
the people, train them to respect, train them to love, train them to
serve and train them keep their flame alive.
- Help them to plan and structure outreaches. Properly and thoroughly.
Always use Biblical models for guidelines to ensure that outreaches are
executed responsibly in co-operation with local churches and
- Teach them compassion. Teach them to respect others.
- Let them love the people. Unconditionally. Give them Jesus as a perfect
role model: "As I follow Jesus, would you follow me?"
- Let them pray. Pray for a vision. Make sure they know exactly what He
expects from them.
But the task was not yet done! Hard work was still to come. During the
evening session all the delegates would have come together in their
different groups of origin to discuss and determine specific strategies
for each of the represented regions, provinces or countries. By doing so
they would have made the fulfilling of the GCOWE commission a reachable
Back to the GCOWE'97 Updates page
Back to the GCOWE '97 home page
Back to the AD2000 home page