GCOWE 97 Children's Consultation
The Child as a Challenge
Ds. Johan du Preez
You could feel the presence of the Holy Spirit at the Verwoerdburg
NG Church. Worshipping by music filled the building and children
were singing and dancing in the corridors of the church and in
front on the lawn. The only feeling was joy, happiness and a sense
of belonging. Even the decoration on the walls spelled out the
vision of this consultation with the drawings and designs of children
all over the church walls. The Lord really blessed little children,
and rightfully so! The building sent out a good message.
"Give children a voice, starting today." The consultation
is small but this opportunity was entrusted to us.
SOEKIE AND THE RADIKIDS gave a live performance with their
songs - by showing, dancing and sharing their feelings and even
testifying their love for God.
SOEKIE RAUTENBACH, the founder and trainer of the group was interviewed
- "Why did you start with a group like this?"
- "It was a calling in my heart. I was 10 years old when
I accepted God into my heart and from that point on I knew I wanted
to do something for Him. Eight years ago the doors really opened
up for me. I started off by singing with two children. Last year,
I released my first solo CD. I was on stage all my life and I
knew I wanted to something for God. The invitations and demand
to sing with children started to flow in, and the group grew up
to where we are now!"
- "How do you select the children?"
- "They must be between the ages of 10 - 13 years. They
must commit themselves for at least a year. They must have a personal
relationship with Jesus. They must have a singing voice and rhythm."
- "What message would you like to convey?"
- "I want the message to spread to other groups. Music
is a part of my ministry. I want to invite children to grow in
an applicable way. Thousands of children are eager to serve Jesus.
We should encourage them to do so by meeting them on their own
How legitimate is the 4/14 window on the 10/40 window for world
evangelism? (The age during which children are most apt to commit
- Children are important to God - The children are mentioned
1, 957 times in the Bible
- Children are a Forgotten People Group - Mission strategists
tend to target the 10/40 Window
- Children are an enormous People Group - 1.8 Billion (i.e.
1/3) of the world's population. They are the largest Peoples Group.
- Children are a Suffering People Group - In the past decade
2 million were killed in war, 4.5 million were left disabled
- Children are a Receptive People Group - 60 - 85% make a decision
for Christ between the ages 4 - 14 years
- Children need to be a Recognized Target Group the 4/14 Window
is a legitimate door to the 10/40 Window. 85% of the church time,
energy and resources need to be made available to the children.
God put the child in His ministry, we put the child in the basement.
Children should be part of Sunday worship services.
- We repent of our neglect of the child and his/her needs
- We commit ourselves to pray against the strategies of Satan
who targets our children
- The Children's Ministry should not be looked down upon or
The first credo:
- "We, the children need our families and churches in times
when we are being misused and neglected. We too can be instruments
in the strategy of our Lord to reach the world. We too can pray.
We can witness. We can share. We can serve. We can love."
The second Credo was amended as follows:
- "We believe God created children as wet clay that needs
to be molded by the all-inclusive family of God, through the power
of the Holy Spirit and the teaching of the Word of God."
Let us claim Africa for the Lord! Let us focus on the children.
Not only should we bring them the message of salvation, they should
also learn how to live according to Biblical standards on all
levels of society. I challenge you to become part of God's army.
Let us set Africa free in the name of Jesus, so that her children
can become what God planned them to be!!!
Back to the GCOWE'97 Updates page
Back to the GCOWE '97 home page
Back to the AD2000 home page