Listening to the Cry of the Cities:
Leadership for the Cities
AD 2000 Cities Network Vision
I. Vision Within Each City
Mobilize city leadership teams to bring healing and
renewal to the city through reconciliation, evangelism,
II. Inter-City and Regional Vision
Network the global church to mobilize God's resources to
the least evangelized cities.
Listen to the Cry of the Cities
Sam Kamaleson, India (residing in U.S.A.)
Chairman, AD 2000 Cities Track
Vice President at Large, World Vision
The growth of the city is the phenomenon of the century. Urban
peoples are in quest. Hence, they are nomadic and mostly,
responsive. There is great innovativeness in the many forms of
ministries exercised within the city.
These are five models from the Bible:
- The intention of God for the city: God Himself
intercedes with man not to give up on the city (Genesis
18:23-33). Within the counsel of the Bible God still needs and looks
for a person to stand in the gap (Ezekiel 22:30) -- in personal
engagement which will begin with intercession that has a personal
stake in the city.
- A feel for the heart of God (Jonah 1:1 and
4:9-11). Mere ideology may have neither the energy for perseverance
nor the resourcing for the response. A feel for the heart for the
heart of God in creative/redemptive compassion must
- The mode of approach to the city (Luke 19:29-40,
Luke 13:37). It is a brokenness at he rejection of expressed love. It
is persistence in spite of the rejection. It is identification with
the powerless. It is the rejection of prestige, manipulatory power,
parochialism and possessions as non-values within the Kingdom of
God. The reality of the poor and the structure that perpetuate
injustice that demand this approach.
- The reversal of the value system of investment
(Revelation 18:11ff). God predicts that the economic system that
places gold on top and man (human soul) at the bottom of values will
fall. In its place God will pave the streets of the city with gold or
gold-like material and let human beings from all people groups walk on
it. God's answer to the city is the city.
- The style of listening to the cry of the city is
contained within Luke, the 11th and 12th chapters.
Jesus sets the pattern for evangelism and holistic engagement
through compassion. Then He speaks about the necessity of learning to
sit at His feet and listen. He teaches about the capacity of the
midnight mediator to listen to the knock of the door. He stresses this
two-way listening before provision for transformation in the persona
and ministry of the Holy Spirit can be effectively received.
The Idea of the AD 2000 Cities Network
Viv Grigg, New Zealand
Coordinator, AD 2000 Cities Track
International Director, Urban Leadership Foundation
- Global Urbanization: 7200 cities, 3400 over 100,000, 400
over 1 million.
- Global Church: currently there is a church in almost every
city. But there is insufficient movements of churches in 1736 cities
to evangelize those cities.
- Primary Focus: Least evangelized cities
- Three levels of evangelization in cities:
- Less than 0.5% Christian: Penetration and Beachhead,
- 0.5%-3%: Church Planting Movements,
- 3% -20%: Renewal Movements and Transformation of the City.
Processes in Evangelizing Cities
- Identify indigenous leadership
- Cultivate unity through prayer initiatives, brokenness and
- Catalyze indigenous leadership teams and/or mission
- Explore critical needs and resources in the city.
- Build from catalytic events.
- Develop a city networking/training center
- Facilitate networks, partnerships, coalitions, and
strategies to bring the gospel to every person and establish the
church in every sector of the city.
AD 2000 Cities Network Inter-City Goals
- Build Regional/National networks of city leaders.
- Initiate inter-city story-telling consultations with leaders
- From these enable indigenous strategies and link to global
- Synchronize efforts with other AD 2000 tracks where they intersect
the least evangelized cities. E.g., build from Praying Through
the Window: 100 Gateway Cities initiative to a comprehensive
Adopt-A-City process for all least evangelized cities.
A Story: From Love of the Poor to the Leaders of the City
Hong Kong Director, St Stephen's Society, Hang Fook Camp
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because the Lord has anointed me to
preach good news to the poor." (Luke 4:18)
- The Hong Kong experience
- From drug addicts to city leaders
- From Jesus-style on the streets to Jesus impact on citywide
A Partnering Project & The Adopt-A-City Process
Michael Little, U.S.A.
Chairman, Praying Through the Gateway Cities of the 10/40 Window
President, Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN)
Praying Through the Window project (video)
- 100 Gateway Cities focus within the least evangelized
- 10,000 Intercessors in teams during the month of October.
- Prayer focus to prepare for penetration or new movements.
- Partnering of resources between evangelized and least
- Start with gateway cities,
"Cities of the peoples,"
and move to
"Peoples of the cities."
- City Strategy Manual
- AD 2000 Cities Network, Urban
Leadership, P.O. Box 48-089. Blockhouse Bay, Auckland, New Zealand or
127 N. Madison Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA. (US $25 incl. postage).
- Praying Through the 100 Gateway Cities
- C.I.N., 11025
State Highway 83, Colorado Springs, CO 80921, USA. Phone  (719)
522-1040, Fax  (719) 548-9000
- Brigada Cities Forum
- An E-mail forum linking cities
researchers via the Internet. Contact
- Discipling the City
- 2nd ed. Roger Greenway ed., Baker
Book House: Grand Rapids. A comprehensive collection of issues in
- Companion to the Poor and Cry of the Urban Poor
- By Viv Grigg, MARC, Monrovia, CA. On establishing churches in the
urban slums of Asia and Latin America.